Verdict: ☆☆☆☆ 12 short stories about life and incidences which we have come across in our life. All stories are well written with various threads of life that will make an interesting read….
About The Author: Durgesh Shastri is currently working as an Assistant Professor in GND Engineering College, Bidar. His many short stories and poems that are published online have received critical acclaim from some of the finest writers of the country. He is a voracious reader.
12 strokes of life is a collection of 12 short stories. From the hilly terrains of Matheran to the IT hub of the country, from the historically rich city of Bidar to one of the fastest growing cities of India, Coimbatore, these stories are set in varied locations. From an overconfident youth longing for success to a determined old man termed insane by neighbours, from a married lady in search of true love to a young girl fighting against all odds to overcome her worst fears, the characters are very much alive and can be related to people around us.
The stories belong to different genres and try to send across a message to the reader, which is though everyone paints a unique picture of life based on their experiences; it never stops to amaze us. After all, life has infinite strokes. Read the 12 strokes of life to know the hues and shades of the journey of a few.’
Review: 12 strokes of life as per the title is a collection of 12 stories about life. The cover is attractive and perfectly suit the stories and the title of the book. The blurb is short and sweet which indicates that stories are shades of life and journey…. Let me explain each story in detail as without the review of each story individually the review is incomplete….
1. The Anonymous Donor: This is the story of faith in God and Ego which result in destroying.It is about Kanha Agarwal and his wife Radha. The starting was so engrossing and then the end with a pinch of suspense make the readers in awe. The language is simple and a good start for an Anthology. It leaves an important message for the readers.
2. A Grave Mistake: This story is interesting. It is a common story, but the narration and elements of Drama make you engrossed in the story. Kunal had a very good relationship with his boss Saketh and how it becomes a grave mistake for one of them…
3. The Carefree Butterflies: This story revolves around two friends Suhasini and Charulata. How they share an important bond and one thing change their life completely. This story also tells an important message that girls should be more alert and careful while working in the night… A good story.
4. Deepak’s Superstitions: superstitions are part of life. Some believe in it and some not. The story revolves around Deepak and his superstitious nature and how sudden twist and turn changed. I like the starting of the story. It had tickled my bone. Overall a nice concept.
5. Lazy Sunday: A nice story to read which will make you laugh also sometimes with funny incidents. Author was targeting the reality shows with the story, The conversation between Cyrus and Srivastava’s family was wonderfully narrated. I loved the ending.
6. The Lost lady: This story is a complete laugh riot with a pinch of emotional drama. This story will be liked by all the readers with a wonderful narration. The language was interesting. The old lady created the drama in the office, but climax will surely make you emotional. A nice read.
7. Sweet Revenge: I was speechless after reading this story. Poor is exploited by the rich is the harsh reality of the society. This is the sensitive story line. I was in a complete shock while reading this story. A very well narrated story. The climax had sudden twist and turn which will make you smile, A nice and interesting read.
8. Communication Disasters: A story of an Unemployed IT Guy named Sumit and his search for a job. A nice story to read. Conversation between Mr Awasthi and Sumit was interesting…
9. A Magic Lost: A very interesting tale with an element of sadness. I felt a little sad while reading the story. Wonderfully narrated. A tale which indicates how a man overcome his shortcomings.
10. Romance In Matheran: A beautiful and devotional love story. There was full of romance in the story as per the title. The end led to shed tears with a very sad ending. A nice read…
11. The Unanswered Question: A thrilling tale which will make you hooked to the story till the end. After reading the story, I laughed out Loud. The end was a complete laugh riot. A wonderful narration and interesting concept. I simply loved it.
12. The Unfulfilled Wish: A beautiful story that touched my heart. A perfect ending for the short stories. Keeps the readers hooked, have lots of love, sacrifice and emotions in the story. It’s end let me speechless. A nice read.
Durgesh had covered all the aspects of life with these 12 beautiful stories. I enjoyed reading all of them. A perfect compilation of short stories. As a reader, I recommend this book to all the readers who want something fresh in short stories. My personal favorite stories are:
* A Grave Mistake
* Lazy Sunday
* A lost Lady
* Romance in Matheran
* The unanswered question
* The unfulfilled Wish…
All the best Author for a wonderful concept….
Book can be Purchased from: