Verdict: ☆☆☆☆ An Anthology, which clearly defines the sufferings of the society. Wonderfully crafted by all the authors. Nice and Innovative concept by the Publisher. As Dipen said it is surely needed of the hour....
About The Author: CA, CS and Law student by profession and a writer by passion, Pulkit is someone who believes in living life to the fullest. Born in Sonepat and brought up in Bijnor (land of Dushyant Kumar), writing came naturally to him due to his genes and current location. He did his schooling from St. Mary’s Convent School, Bijnor and graduation from MJPRU, Bareilly.
He started writing in a diary and some random poems, but CA gave a professional look to his writing skills. He got associated with Caclubindia and was voted “Favorite of the Club” in 2011. His debut novel, titled,‘Life and Promises’ has already created waves in the book market. He is also part of a short story anthology, ‘You, Me ‘N’ Zindagi’. He was also the compiler and contributor at ‘Moonlit Matinee’.
Apart from reading and writing, the author loves listening to Hindi music, watch all kind of Hindi movies and sports.
He can be contacted at:
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
About the book: Crumpled Voices – Shades of Suffering is an anthology based on social issues. A common thread of the prevailing societal evils and injustice binds them together. We have tried to weave stories ranging from rape to acid attack and domestic violence to honor killing in this anthology.
All of us have witnessed such incidents in our day to day life, our near and dear ones might have experienced them closely too. We have almost grown up among them, felt them following us. We constantly live in fear of the unknown, fear of being the victim to any of the criminal activities multiplying around us. These days when no place is safe, including the web, our voices need to be heard.
The protest must begin from somewhere, and we have used our pen which is mightier than the sword to express our anguish. An echo of many unimaginable atrocities lurks within us, engulfing us in its shadow. Through each of the stories in this book, we have tried to highlight one such aspect of horrifying crimes.
Review: First Look at the cover and Title clearly tells the readers about the sufferings of the society and it is very common in our society. The blurb talks about the contents of the book. About the injustice, evils happening with the women in society…The women’s photo in the cover really shows the sufferings. Let me explain about each story in detail…
1. Poem No 1: Down the way by Ila Garg: A very beautiful poem written by the Author. It tells about the suffering of the Earth. Human’s have turned into a beast by cutting trees and polluting the environment. Very well written poem. The pain was clearly shown.
2. Story No 2: This is who I am By Ila Garg: This is the story of Two people and their love for each other which was not accepted by the society because they were homosexual. This is again the non-acceptance in society which led them to suffer. It’s true if anyone tries to go against the society they have to suffer. A nice story about the reality of life as homosexual’s are still not accepted by the society. A well written concept.
3. Story No 3: Karma Returns By Pulkit Gupta: A story about misunderstanding between husband and wife. A nice and emotional story. The climax clearly tells that Karma always returns. The person who does something wrong will always get his punishment in this birth only. A heartfelt narration. A sad and heart touching story.
4. Story No 4: The Last Whisper By Tanya Shrivastava: The story deals with shameful dead of men in society. Sexual harassment what we called forced rape. The devil act of men towards women is really a shocking tale. A wonderful narration, told the reality of society. A painful story which will touch your heart.
5. Story No 5: It is Honourable By Abhik Chakraborty: Honor Killing is one of the hot topic in society. Still, some parts of the society kill innocent lovers just for caste. The story is perfect. The innocent girl killed because she had committed the crime of falling in love. It’s really very painful
6. Story No 6: The Curious case Of Missing Brahmins, By Abhishek Atul: The story is humorous, sometimes with a pinch of spirituality and History. It also educated us with an interesting idea of missing Brahmin. A very beautifully narrated. The story is fresh and based on a very unique idea…
7. Story No 7: Color of a Butterfly By Promilla Qazi: It is a story of a young Girl who wants to fly like a butterfly. A story of her courage due to cruelty faced by her in her childhood. A nice story with a beautiful narration. I loved the way, despite seeing cruelty in her childhood, she faced it strongly.
8. Story No 8: Indira’s Story By Smita SaLins: This is a story of a young girl who faced sufferings in her married life. Continuous beatings and cruelty leave her scarred forever. It is the reality of society, One should live in a dead marriage because of pressure. It highlights the cruelty faced by some women in a married relationship. A nice and painful story….
9. Story No 9: The Corrupt Me By Nitesh Chitranshi: A very well written story which taught us an important lesson in the end. “Honesty is the best policy and Hard Work is the key to success” is a true saying. In order to remove corruption from the country we have to be honest towards ourself. The little honest gestures leaves you satisfied. I as a reader feels Author had beautifully explained the meaning of honesty in Today’s world.
10. Story No 10: The Fatal Pride: By Sreelekha Chatterjee: The story of Rich and Poor and in order to achieve easy success, one can take a wrong step. A very nicely explained with an important message. One should never allow strangers to enter the house if you are alone. It’s true these days elder citizen’s are not safe. The end was a bit predictable, but a nice story.
11. Story No 11: The Paradise by Prachi Priyanka: Sometimes Love is strange. It can make you lose completely into one another or sometimes in control senses. The paradise is a story of two couples whose love was very strange. This was a fresh concept in terms of normal love story. The end was a shock for me as a reader. A story filled with strange, possessiveness, guilt and sorrow.
12. Story No 12: Nature’s Revenge By Shruti Mall: What Goes around comes around. It’s true your past sin will surely haunt you and God will Punish you in this Birth only. A well written story. Story of inhumanity and Cruelty. Women are always blamed for the cruelty of men. The story had a flair which makes you completely hooked to the story. Nature had itself took its revenge.
13. Poem No 13: She was raped By Nitin Soni: A poem which shows the present condition of our country where women are not safe. Men are inhuman and feels Proud to rape an innocent girl. The Author had nicely showed the pain of a woman through the verses. For Rape only women are blamed for wearing Wrong clothes, travelling late at night not men who shows their cruelty towards women. A nice poem.
14. Story No 14: The Crescendo Of a Grand Symphony By Harsh Rai Puri: The story of two people who had faced horrifying incidence in their life. The story started with an interesting note, but later lost its charm and there was nothing to be cherished upon. The end was also abrupt.
15. Story No 15: A Letter To God: By Sandeep Sharma: This is a simple and sweet story of a girl who wanted to learn small things and feel the joy of life. The story was written, keeping in mind the innocence of a girl. I loved the way she wrote a letter to her mom. The story ended on a positive note.
16. Story No 16: Eighteenth Birthday: By Nibha Gupta: A story of hope and love. It gave relationship a new meaning. A bond between two sisters, which was beautifully expressed in the end. The letter gave an emotional touch with full of surprises. A very good story.
17. Story No 17: The Indecent Profession By Durgesh Shastri: This is another story of inhumanity. There are certain people who search for prey and ruin their dignity and self respect by filming their private videos. This is the story of a husband who want to snatch the dignity of her wife by filming her Porn video. The starting was very interesting and end took you into surprise. A very good story of love and lust.
18. Story No 18: Light By Shrruti Patole Clearence: This is the story about cruelty, Eve teasing, molestation, rape, which women face in day to day travel on roads, shopping malls, next door. It’s high time women have to be strong and fight with the beast of our society. It is the story of women power. Women should never stop, but fight for their rights. A well written story.
19. Story No 19: Freedom By Ketaki Sane: The story of a woman who wanted to live her life on her own terms, but forced by a man to live according to his terms and condition and made her life miserable. One should always believe what your mind and heart says is what Author wanted to justify with her story. A feeling of freedom. The end was abrupt but still as a reader, I loved the story….
20. Story No 20: Second Chance By Gayatri Aptekar: A story of a young Girl and her feelings. A story about her being alone in spite of having all the necessities of life. These days Parents are so busy earning money that they forget to love their kids… The story was beautifully narrated. A feeling of sadness and pain in little girls’ eyes were clearly shown. The Story is simple and touching and helps the girl to make her parents realize their mistake.
21. Story No 21: The Newspaper Reader By Chandrapal Khasiya: The story is about a grief ridden Lady and a Young Girl and their talk on the truths and the cruelty of the society. There was a generation gap in their conversation and it was interestingly narrated. All the topics were nicely discussed showing the right path to the young girl. A nice story…
22. Story No 22: Together We Can Make a Difference By Priyanka Bansal: AIDS is a very common disease and Society treats aids patient with a guilt and it’s necessary to educate the society. The story is about a mother and daughter who fight with the society and try to educate them about this disease. The story of determination and inner strength which enables you to go on the right track. A very nice story with beautiful narration.
23. Poem No 23: Don’t Decolourize Me By Priyanka Bansal: A poem about the Acid Attack. The trauma that a woman's face after Acid attack. It is really painful. Man should avoid this harsh cruelty. A woman should be given freedom and respect rather than destroy their beautiful face. The fear and suffocation being highlighted. The book ended with a good poem.
The book altoghter compiled very nicely highlighting the basic problems of life. All the stories and poems will surely touch your heart. The basic issues of the society are highlighted in each and every story and poems of the Anthology. The only drawback was a grammatical mistake. Rest the book was a good initiative. All the best to all the Authors…
Book can be Purchased from